Apprenticeships have changed

If the word apprentice brings an image of youthful car mechanics, carpenters or even young Jedis, you are in for a surprise. Modern apprenticeships now include Digital Marketers and PR Assistants.

What are the benefits of an Apprenticeship?

  • Give your new and existing employees the skills needed to grow your business
  • Help you recruit and retain talent in an increasingly competitive market
  • Reduce staff turnover and recruitment costs
  • Provide a recognised pathway for your current team to develop their careers with you
  • Establish your reputation as a respected and innovative employer.

Why have Apprenticeships changed?

It was decided that the old style apprenticeships were no longer providing suitable training for a modern workforce. It was also decided to open up apprenticeships to older workers, to wider professions and to higher levels, including degree levels.

Who can be an Apprentice? 

Anyone can now be an apprentice, so long as they need new knowledge and skills for their role.

That makes the apprenticeships perfect for:

  • New starters
  • Employees wanting to change roles
  • Returners to work after illness, or family commitments
  • Older employees who want to re-skill for new roles

In a way, the word “apprentice” is off-putting. Think of it as a “Training Scheme.”

apprenticeships

What is an Apprenticeship?

New apprenticeships are based on Standards, which were designed by a group of employers, to make the skills learnt more appropriate to businesses.

What is a Standard? 

A full list of the 358 approved standards can be found at the Institute of Apprenticeships.

How does the Apprenticeship Work? 

The employer must commit to allowing an apprentice to have 20% off-the-job training time. For the remaining 80%, the apprentice works on a real job for the organisation. The apprentice has a manager and also a mentor to support and guide them. The training provider will monitor the apprentice’s progress and keep you informed.

To start a marketing apprenticeship, the steps are:

  1. You decide you have a real job that an apprentice can do.
  2. You choose the relevant standard.
  3. You choose a training provider.
  4. The apprentice works for you in their real job.
  5. The Training Provider will monitor the apprentice, keep you up to date with the apprentice’s progress.
  6. If your apprentice does not have Maths and English at Level 2 (GCSE level), they will need to have this training as part of the apprenticeship.
  7. At the end of the apprenticeship, the apprentice will be assessed against the Standard and awarded a Certificate.

How does the Assessment Work? 

At the end of the apprenticeship training period, the employer & training provider decide the apprentice is ready to be assessed.

The apprentice has a set amount of time to complete the assessment tasks. These are assessed by an approved End Point Assessment Organisation and graded.

After 27 years experience teaching professional qualifications and training corporates, Cambridge Marketing College believed it was time to add another product to their offering. The new PR and marketing apprenticeships help your team develop the skills to grow your business and so far the College has delivered marketing apprenticeships to a wide range of sectors, including industrial, healthcare, life sciences, food and sports organisations.

If you’re interested in starting a Marketing Apprenticeship or have an Apprenticeship/Internship opportunity you’d like advertised to Brand Recruitment’s network (for free!), visit our dedicated Marketing Apprenticeships page.

Share this:
Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestlinkedinmailFacebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestlinkedinmail

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *