Head of Marketing – Cambridge Innovation Capital – Cambridge -
Brand Recruitment Ltd are delighted to be working in partnership with Cambridge Innovation Capital (CIC), a venture capital company that invests in IP rich technology and life sciences companies in the Cambridge ecosystem. CIC is a preferred investor for the University of Cambridge and is led by an outstanding team which includes an advisory panel of leading scientists and entrepreneurs.
Role purpose and scope
This is a newly created role and an exceptional opportunity for an experienced, highly motivated and entrepreneurial Head of Marketing to support CIC’s mission and objectives through the creation, development, implementation and evaluation of a marketing plan. The role is responsible for identifying and selecting market opportunities, defining strategic direction to address those opportunities, and overseeing the development and implementation of tactical plans and campaigns to achieve the selected objectives.
The Head of Marketing must ensure that any planning and implementation is strategically appropriate, is aligned to the master marketing plan, is suitably integrated with other market and channel strategies, and is consistent with CIC’s brand guidelines (including visual identity and house style), standards of service and other codes of conduct as applicable. The role will report to the CEO and will work in parallel with the part-time Head of Investor Relations and Communications.
Planning, development and delivery
- Market audit, market definition and market research
- Competitor analysis, strategy preparation and development
- Tactical planning and campaign development
- Campaign implementation and evaluation
- Brand management, including visual identity
- Asset management, including all relevant data and stakeholder records
- Develop business networks and connections within and beyond the Cambridge ecosystem to aid the development and delivery of plans, campaigns and events
- Prepare budgets
- Forecast expenditure
- Monitor and report, in liaison with the CFO, actual expenditure
- As directed select, appoint and manage third party suppliers and agencies
- To monitor and appraise activities and best practice in the wider markets
- On an ongoing basis, to evaluate and appraise the market definitions and marketing mix
- To research and evaluate new or more effective routes to market
- To adopt an inquisitive, open-minded approach to strategic evaluation and development
- Work with CIC portfolio companies to help them develop and refine their marketing strategies
- Provide gap analysis and best practice advice on marketing competencies and marketing strategies as part of the CIC investment process
Advocacy and advisory
- To provide advice and be a ‘knowledge specialist’ in support of CIC colleagues
- Act as ambassador for CIC
- Work proactively with colleagues across the business, adopting a leadership role in the identification and development of marketing opportunities
- Among colleagues, promote a strategic approach to planning and development
Experience, knowledge and skills
- Extensive and relevant marketing experience at senior level within the technology, healthcare, or professional/financial services sector
- Preparation of marketing plans and strategies
- Market research: scoping, implementation, evaluation
- Cross-channel integration and media-neutral campaign planning
- Supplier appointment and management
- Stakeholder data management
- Preparation, monitoring and reporting of budgets
- Working with senior staff, Board members and external stakeholders
- Marketing theory: planning and strategy development; campaign planning, setting metrics and evaluation
- Keeping up to date with best practice
- Availability and suitability of media, channels and tools
- Brand management
- Website management
- Event planning and delivery
- Competitor and market analysis – techniques and evaluation
- Defining and setting priorities
- Time management, including the allocation of scarce resources
- Project management
- Self-reliant and resourceful
- Budget planning
- Maintaining an effective CRM system
Degree or equivalent qualification together with a relevant qualification from Chartered Institute of Marketing, Chartered Institute of Public Relations or other recognised professional or training organisation.
How to apply
Brand Recruitment Ltd are managing the recruitment process on behalf of CIC, therefore, please send all applications directly through to us for consideration. Should you initially prefer a confidential discussion please contact David Atkin at Brand Recruitment on [email protected] and he will contact you by return to arrange a phone call.
For registration purposes please could you let us know where you are currently based as well as your required salary and notice period.
Please upload a Microsoft Word version of your CV where possible, excluding textboxes or images, as this can affect the consultant's job matching process and therefore your details may not be picked up for a role.